Ten Main Items for a Northbound Thru-hike in 2021
When I first started hiking, I had no idea I’d be attempting a successful northbound thru-hike in 2021. There was also little indication that my gear list items would become so expansive (and expensive). My ten main items for a northbound thru-hike in 2021 are the cornerstone of my gear list. It’s a forty-five-minute drive to Cabela’s to buy a pair of trekking poles. Poles or a hiking stick (my husband has a stick he found in the woods) would come to be a cornerstone of my hiking career. When I walked into Cabela’s, I felt like a cat under a Christmas tree. So much shiny stuff! My gear has accumulated over time. While I have more stuff than the list below, these ten items could get me by without all the fluff that will accompany me on my trip.
My Main Ten
- Shelter: Tent – REI Co-op Quarter Dome SL 1 Tent (and floor): Weighing under three pounds (and a price under $300) this tent was a no-brainer. Not to mention, it is easily set up. The bonus is that the cover can be put up first and the tent pitched second in case of rain.
- Sleeping: Marmot Trestles 0 Sleeping Bag I went to Cabela’s to try out sleeping bags – they didn’t have much of a selection, so I wound up going on Moosejaw & REI and getting two bags: I am going with the 0 bag for my hike.
- Pack: Osprey Aura AG 65 Pack – Women’s I got fitted for my pack at REI and I am still having some problems with it sliding around on my back. This pack is the lightest and most durable out of three, I continue to hike and adjust it. I’m getting closer to perfection.
- Headlamp: Durable with three settings and rechargeable.
- Water Filtration: Sawyer Squeeze System with two bags. And also a flow cap for Smart Water bottles. I felt like this made the most sense. I also have a pot to boil water. Which I will cover next.
Explore the complete list written by Darlene M here: https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/ten-main-items-for-a-northbound-thru-hike-in-2021/
Join the Club
If you like, we’ll send you outdoor content that brings you happiness. Nothing annoying, ever.