Ten Main Items for a Northbound Thru-hike in 2021
When I first started hiking, I had no idea I’d be attempting a successful northbound thru-hike in 2021. There was also little indication that my gear list items would become so expansive (and expensive). My ten main items for a northbound thru-hike in 2021 are the cornerstone of my gear list. It’s a forty-five-minute drive to Cabela’s to buy a pair of trekking poles. Poles or a hiking stick (my husband has a stick he found in the woods) would come to be a cornerstone of my hiking career. When I walked into Cabela’s, I felt like a cat under a Christmas tree. So much shiny stuff! My gear has accumulated over time. While I have more stuff than the list below, these ten items could get me by without all the fluff that will accompany me on my trip.
My Main Ten
- Shelter: Tent – REI Co-op Quarter Dome SL 1 Tent (and floor): Weighing under three pounds (and a price under $300) this tent was a no-brainer. Not to mention, it is easily set up. The bonus is that the cover can be put up first and the tent pitched second in case of rain.
- Sleeping: Marmot Trestles 0 Sleeping Bag I went to Cabela’s to try out sleeping bags – they didn’t have much of a selection, so I wound up going on Moosejaw & REI and getting two bags: I am going with the 0 bag for my hike.
- Pack: Osprey Aura AG 65 Pack – Women’s I got fitted for my pack at REI and I am still having some problems with it sliding around on my back. This pack is the lightest and most durable out of three, I continue to hike and adjust it. I’m getting closer to perfection.
- Headlamp: Durable with three settings and rechargeable.
- Water Filtration: Sawyer Squeeze System with two bags. And also a flow cap for Smart Water bottles. I felt like this made the most sense. I also have a pot to boil water. Which I will cover next.
May 6, 2022
Outdoor Life: Do You Really Need a Water Filter for Backpacking and Mountain Hunting?
In the end, I go to the woods to discover myself, to find out more about who I am and who I want to be.
Sawyer Picaridin Continuous Spray is our pick for the best all-around bug spray. This long-lasting product repels mosquitoes and ticks for up to 12 hours while warding off biting flies, stable flies, black flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies for up to eight hours.
Gear is a necessity for a thru-hike (historically, my ancestors traveled the trails with less, but nowadays equipment is vital).