What's the Best Mosquito Repellent? How to Buy the Right One for You
These are the types of bug sprays that will protect you from bites.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.
Picking up a few bug bites used to be one of summer’s rites of passage. But actually, shielding yourself from ticks and mosquitoes is just as important as wearing sunscreen. “People used to hate to wear [insect] repellent, or say, ‘Oh, I don’t care about getting bitten,’” says Walter S. Leal, Ph.D., a chemical ecologist and professor of entomology at the University of California, Davis. While it’s hard to determine why mosquitos decide to bite some people and not others, using a mosquito repellent can effectively lower your bite tally this summer and also keep you safe from the diseases they carry, including Zika virus, West Nile virus, malaria, Chikungunya virus, and dengue. Some will also shield you from other disease-carrying insects like ticks, which transmit Lyme’s Disease.
Whether you’ll be spending your summer hiking and camping, hanging in the backyard, or lounging at the beach, protect yourself and your loved ones from pesky bug bites with the 10 best mosquito repellents. Here, you’ll find top-rated options that have thousands of glowing reviews, plus our handy guide for finding the right one for you.
- Best Overall: Off! Deep Woods Mosquito Repellent Spray
- Best for Hiking: Adventure Medical Ben's 100 Max DEET Tick & Insect Repellent Spray
- Best Wipes: Repel Sportsmen 30% DEET Wipes
- Best for Sensitive Skin: Sawyer Controlled-Release Repellent Lotion
- Best Long-Lasting: Sawyer Picaridin 20% Continuous Spray
- Best Smelling: Natrapel 20% Eco Insect Repellent Spray
- Best for Backyards: Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent
- Best OLE Option: Repel Lemon Plant-Based Eucalyptus Insect Repellent
- Best for Babies and Kids: Babyganics Natural Insect Repellent
- Best for Pets: Vet's Best Mosquito Repellent for Dogs and Cats
May 7, 2022
Steer clear of mosquitoes, ticks, and other pests with these EPA-approved bug sprays, lotions, and wipes.
This insect repellent lotion uses picaridin, which repels all sorts of biting flies, chiggers, ticks, flies, and gnats. It’s not greasy, feels good on your skin, and comes in packets that are easy to take along when you’re camping or hiking. It gets over 16,000 five-star reviews.
High-Performance 0.1 Micron Absolute Inline Filter Fits In The Palm Of Your Hand And Weighs Just 2 Ounces; 100% Of Micro Squeeze Units Individually Tested Three Times To Performance Standards By Sawyer