8 Best Products to Get Rid of Stink Bugs and Keep Them Away
Written by Toni Debella
What's that unpleasant smell? It may be an infestation of stink bugs. We round up the best stink bug repellents to send these putrid pests packing.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
How To Get Rid of Stink Bugs
The brown marmorated stink bug/shield bug (also known as BMSB) is the most common species of its kind in North America. While damaging to agricultural crops, these voracious eaters are mostly a harmless nuisance to the average homeowner. They aren’t poisonous nor do they bite. But if you step on a stink bug, you’ll learn quickly how they got their name.
“If you’ve ever made the mistake of squishing a wayward stink bug that ran your way, you can probably remember the squalid stench that followed,” says Ed Spicer, general manager of Pest Strategies. “Stink bugs produce a pheromone when they’re injured or dying: a pungent odor which works to ward off predators and alert other stink bugs to the presence of the danger.”
Should you come across one or a band of these tough-shelled, foul-smelling creepers, here’s how you can get rid of them.
- Seal cracks and other entry points to keep them from sheltering indoors.
- Remove vegetation, compost and dry leaves from near your home.
- Vacuum up bugs on sight. Place the vacuum bag in the freezer overnight, then discard the contents outside.
- Use natural or store-bought repellents or insecticides.
- Make a DIY stink bug trap (instructions below).
- If all else fails, hire a professional pest control service to help manage the problem.
We’ve compiled a selection of the best stink bug repellents (and a few killers) to help you combat these foul-smelling bugs, click here: https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/stink-bug-repellents/
Join the Club
If you like, we’ll send you outdoor content that brings you happiness. Nothing annoying, ever.