The Best Portable Water Filters for Camping, Survival, and More
When clean water isn’t readily accessible, reach for one of the best portable water filters for safe, pure, and healthy drinking water.
A portable water filter provides water purification on the go. Useful for traveling, camping, or survival situations, these compact devices have a built-in filtration system to remove contaminants like sediment, debris, and microorganisms from water. In a few steps, they can turn contaminated water into safe drinking water.
The best portable water filters are trustworthy, simple to use, and easy to carry. Unlike chemical water filters, portable water filters use physical filters or UV light to filter water. Choosing the best portable water filter for your needs depends on the size of the filter as well as the substances that need to be removed and the amount of water to be filtered.
The following guide explores the types of portable water filters that can help in a variety of situations. Safe and healthy water is always an option with one of these devices; the models below are some of the best on the market.
- BEST OVERALL: LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Sawyer Products MINI Water Filtration System
- BEST STRAW: LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
- BEST BOTTLE: GRAYL GeoPress Water Purifier Bottle
- BEST PUMP: Survivor Filter Pro – Hand Pump Camping Water Filter
- BEST GRAVITY FILTER: Platypus GravityWorks High-Capacity Filter System
- BEST UV FILTER: SteriPen Adventurer Opti UV Personal Water Purifier
A 20% DEET Premium Controlled-Release Lotion will work well against mosquitoes, but Dr. Zimring says he prefers the 20% Picaridin lotion since it also protects against ticks, gnats, chiggers, and flies. (In both instances, he recommends Sawyer brand.)
Part of spending time outside means battling ticks, mosquitoes, and other biting insects. For this, Nelson swears by permethrin.
And out of the products we tested, Dr. Zeichner highly recommends Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent.