10 BEST Water Survival Bottles of May 2021
8. Sawyer Products SP128 Mini Water Filtration System, Single, Blue
- High-performance 0.1 micron absolute inline filter fits in the palm of your hand and weighs just 2 ounces; 100% of mini units individually tested three times to performance standards by sawyer
- Removes 99.99999% of all bacteria (salmonella, cholera, and e. coli); removes 99.9999% of all protozoa (such as giardia and cryptosporidium); also removes 100% of microplastics
- Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel, and emergency preparedness
- Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable water bottles, hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source
- Filter rated up to 100,000 gallons; includes one sawyer mini filter, 16-ounce reusable squeeze pouch, 7-inch drinking straw, and cleaning plunger
May 7, 2022
Outdoor Life: Do You Really Need a Water Filter for Backpacking and Mountain Hunting?
While DEET products may be more familiar by name and their chemical smell, sprays with 20 percent picaridin, like Sawyer Products, offer comparable protection without the harsh odor and oily feeling on your skin.
The Sawyer Squeeze was (by far) the most common Pacific Crest Trail water filter this year – for the fifth year in a row. It’s a $39, 3 oz / 85 g hollow fiber filter that rids your drinking water of protozoa and bacteria (and floaties). It can be used with Sawyer bags (included with the filter) or with compatible water bottles (Smartwater is the bottle of choice for many hikers).
SAWYER MINI WATER FILTER, $22 This has been my water filter of choice for years now. The bags can be iffy — I have had a few break – so carry a couple. However, the filter itself is reliable, light and inexpensive. -Logan