White Mountains Direttissima FKT Gear List
Because I had to average over 40 miles and 13,000 feet of elevation gain per day, the White Mountains Direttissima was the first time that I made a concerted effort to shave as many ounces as possible. Much of my weight savings came from the unique way that I went about getting nutrition, which is vastly different from what I normally do on backpacking trips.
The Big Stuff
- Backpack – Hyperlite Mountain Gear (HMG) 3400 Windrider (frame removed)
- Hydration Pack – Salomon Adv Skin 12 Set (w/ 2 liter hydration bladder)
- Tent – Gossamer Gear “The One” (w/polycryo footprint)
- Quilt – Hammock Gear Economy 20° Down Quilt (w/ drybag)
- Sleeping Pad – 2/3 of a Thermarest zlite
- Trekking Poles – Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork
The frame of my HMG Windrider broke at about mile 1,800 of my Appalachian Trail thru-hike last year. HMG worked with me to get new stays as quickly as possible, but I covered a couple hundred miles prior to receiving them. During that time, I realized that for me the pack is more comfortable without the stays, provided the weight is kept relatively low. I have not used the aluminum stays since then.
May 6, 2022
Outdoor Life: Do You Really Need a Water Filter for Backpacking and Mountain Hunting?
Of all the creepy crawlers, ticks keep me on high alert. They can be very tiny in the nymph stage and difficult to see. They love to hang out in tall grasses along the trail and hitch a ride on hikers passing by. I plan on treating most of my clothes and gear with Sawyer Permethrin.
Ultra-compact and lightweight
I would often just drink directly from the sawyer squeeze if I was feeling lazy- which by the way works wonderfully.