27 Essential Items to Bring With You on Any Hike
Consider this your ultimate checklist for what to pack, from navigation tools to nutrition must-haves.
After sheltering in place for months, most of us are craving fresh air—and a hike is an excellent way to get just that. Not only is it a scenic way to get some cardio, but studies have also found that hiking can lower stress levels. Triple win! Before you plan your trip to one of these gorgeous hiking trails (we found one in every state), make sure to pack these hiking essentials that will ensure you have a fun and safe trip.
What to pack on a hike:
Whether you're going on a short hike or a longer trek, the National Park Service advises anyone hitting the trails to carry what's known as the 10 Essentials. Broken down into multiple categories, the 10 Essentials focus on the following systems:
• Navigation: maps or GPS location devices
• Lighting: lanterns, headlamps, or flashlights
• Sun protection: sunscreen or clothes with UPF protection
• Fire starters: matches or lighters
• Insulation (if applicable): hats, wool socks, or jackets
• First-aid supplies: a kit with bandages, antiseptic wipes and medication
• Repair tools: knives or scissors
• Food: snack bars, granola, or food packs
• Water supplies: filters or disinfecting liquid tablets
• Shelter: tents, tarps or bivy sacks
For the complete list of hiking essentials, continue reading here.
Explore More Content
Sawyer Insect Repellent is a versatile picaridin spray recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) as safe and effective for most people. Our testers liked the evaporating smell and how the spray feels once it dries.
Insects and arachnids that bite in self-defense instead of to feed -- such as yellow jackets, bees, wasps, hornets, certain ants or spiders -- cannot be repelled with insect repellents.
The number of bug-borne diseases is increasing, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And the number of places they're spreading to is also on the rise.
From the Squad
Campfire conversations with our community, from Squad Members and Ambassadors to Brand Partners and the Sawyer team.