27 Essential Items to Bring With You on Any Hike
Consider this your ultimate checklist for what to pack, from navigation tools to nutrition must-haves.
After sheltering in place for months, most of us are craving fresh air—and a hike is an excellent way to get just that. Not only is it a scenic way to get some cardio, but studies have also found that hiking can lower stress levels. Triple win! Before you plan your trip to one of these gorgeous hiking trails (we found one in every state), make sure to pack these hiking essentials that will ensure you have a fun and safe trip.
What to pack on a hike:
Whether you're going on a short hike or a longer trek, the National Park Service advises anyone hitting the trails to carry what's known as the 10 Essentials. Broken down into multiple categories, the 10 Essentials focus on the following systems:
• Navigation: maps or GPS location devices
• Lighting: lanterns, headlamps, or flashlights
• Sun protection: sunscreen or clothes with UPF protection
• Fire starters: matches or lighters
• Insulation (if applicable): hats, wool socks, or jackets
• First-aid supplies: a kit with bandages, antiseptic wipes and medication
• Repair tools: knives or scissors
• Food: snack bars, granola, or food packs
• Water supplies: filters or disinfecting liquid tablets
• Shelter: tents, tarps or bivy sacks
For the complete list of hiking essentials, continue reading here.
May 5, 2022
Outdoor Life: Do You Really Need a Water Filter for Backpacking and Mountain Hunting?
Depending on where you travel, you may want to pack bug spray, too. In places like Florida and North Carolina, summers get buggy, and you’ll be happy to have packed a spray on nights when you want to sit on the porch or dine outdoors.
As a veteran of the Iraq War, I found myself struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder from which greatly impacted my mental health. In 2016, I came across the film “Wild,” an adaptation of Cheryl Strayed’s memoir about healing by hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).
Sawyer Permethrin Premium Insect Repellent is used on clothing, not skin, and it provides long-lasting protection against ticks.