11 Best Bug Repellents For Camping In 2020
Outdoor camping is one of the best ways to escape the daily grind. To make your camping trip a success, make sure you carry the best bug repellent for camping to protect yourself from mosquito bites.
Mosquito repellents are dime-a-dozen and come in many forms such as lotions, creams, oils, and sprays that can be applied to the skin to prevent itchy bites and guard against deadly viruses. In addition to these, there are mosquito repellent devices that can effectively protect you from bugs.
In this post, we list some of the best bug repellents that you can carry for a happy camping vacation.
Types Of Repellents
Before buying bug repellents, learn about the various types of repellents available in the market. They come in three basic types:
- Natural repellents: They are free from chemicals and are mostly made with natural ingredients like essential oils that are safe to use.
- Bands or bracelets: They are the safest repellents as you don’t have to apply on your skin. Just wear a band around your wrist or ankle to protect yourself from bugs.
- DEET repellents: They are widely used repellents in the United States and are known to be effective.
11 Best Bug Repellents For Camping Of 2020
2. Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent
The wearable bug repellent from Sawyer Products is best suited for camping. Sawyer assures its non-greasy formula keeps different kinds of bugs away. Reviewed by Consumer Reports as the Fisherman’s Formula, it is an effective and safe solution against biting insects.
- Non-greasy application
- Repels disease-carrying ticks and mosquitoes
- Lasts for up to 12 hours
- Doesn’t harm synthetics and plastics
- May not be effective
Finishing reading the full list and other frequently asked questions about repellents written by Pallavi Lakhotia here.
May 5, 2022
Outdoor Life: Do You Really Need a Water Filter for Backpacking and Mountain Hunting?
Depending on where you travel, you may want to pack bug spray, too. In places like Florida and North Carolina, summers get buggy, and you’ll be happy to have packed a spray on nights when you want to sit on the porch or dine outdoors.
As a veteran of the Iraq War, I found myself struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder from which greatly impacted my mental health. In 2016, I came across the film “Wild,” an adaptation of Cheryl Strayed’s memoir about healing by hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).
Sawyer Permethrin Premium Insect Repellent is used on clothing, not skin, and it provides long-lasting protection against ticks.