MN toddler hospitalized with tick-borne Rocky Mountain spotted fever
One-year-old Gino Pahl has been under sedation in the intensive care unit of a Minnesota hospital for the last week. He’s fighting Rocky Mountain spotted fever, an infection transmitted by a common wood tick.
“It’s so new a lot of the people we meet [at the hospital] say they have never seen a case here,” said Gino’s mother, Shelby Pahl.
The infection is most common across the central U.S. from the Carolinas to Kansas, but it is suspected Gino picked it up in a new development in Buffalo, which also happens to be his backyard.
Head here to find the complete article and video from KSTP-TV reporter Jessica Miles.
Explore More Content
Sawyer Insect Repellent is a versatile picaridin spray recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) as safe and effective for most people. Our testers liked the evaporating smell and how the spray feels once it dries.
Insects and arachnids that bite in self-defense instead of to feed -- such as yellow jackets, bees, wasps, hornets, certain ants or spiders -- cannot be repelled with insect repellents.
The number of bug-borne diseases is increasing, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And the number of places they're spreading to is also on the rise.
From the Squad
Campfire conversations with our community, from Squad Members and Ambassadors to Brand Partners and the Sawyer team.