MAINE WOMAN DIES FROM DEER TICK VIRUS
This case report describes an elderly woman from Maine, who was diagnosed post-mortem with a rare deer tick virus, known as the Powassan virus. The 72-year-old woman was admitted to the hospital with myalgias, chills, and an erythema migrans rash on her left scapula. She reportedly had 2 tick bites over the course of one month.
She was prescribed 14 days of doxycycline and discharged home.
The following day, she returned to the hospital, acutely ill with fever, arthralgias, and headache. Intravenous ceftriaxone was added to her treatment regime. But her condition continued to deteriorate.
Within 24 hours of admission, she developed hemodynamic instability, visual hallucinations, and confusion.
“By hospital day 4 she was obtunded and hypotensive. On day 5 she was intubated,” writes Cavanaugh et al.
The patient’s antibiotics were changed to Vancomycin, piperacillin-tazobactam, doxycycline, and acyclovir followed by vancomycin and meropenem.
“She was thrombocytopenic (platelets 21 000) and had developed oliguric acute kidney injury,” according to Cavanaugh.
Unfortunately, the woman died 10 days after entering the hospital.
Find the full article written by Dr. Daniel Cameron here.
Explore More Content
Sawyer Insect Repellent is a versatile picaridin spray recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) as safe and effective for most people. Our testers liked the evaporating smell and how the spray feels once it dries.
Insects and arachnids that bite in self-defense instead of to feed -- such as yellow jackets, bees, wasps, hornets, certain ants or spiders -- cannot be repelled with insect repellents.
The number of bug-borne diseases is increasing, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And the number of places they're spreading to is also on the rise.
From the Squad
Campfire conversations with our community, from Squad Members and Ambassadors to Brand Partners and the Sawyer team.