The Best Bug Sprays of 2023
Bugs aren’t just a nuisance—their bites can lead to serious illness. These easy-to-use sprays are designed to let people enjoy the great outdoors in comfort and safety.
Bug sprays are a convenient way to keep biting insects at bay. A quick application can last for hours, and make it a lot more pleasant to be outdoors, as well as safer. For instance, chigger bites can result in severe rashes, blisters, and bleeding. Mosquitoes and ticks carry diseases that can cause long-term illness or even death.
There are lots of effective bug repellents available, but there is understandable concern about some of the ingredients. After we took a careful look at the facts, we assembled this comprehensive article to provide in-depth answers to many questions about these products. We have also provided a list of the best bug sprays for just about any situation.
- BEST OVERALL: Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Repel Plant-Based Insect Repellent
- BEST NATURAL: Murphy’s Naturals Insect Repellent
- BEST FOR KIDS: Off! Family Care Picaridin Aerosol
- BEST FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus
- BEST WITH SUNSCREEN: Bullfrog Mosquito Coast Bug Spray
- BEST TICK REPELLENT: Ben’s Tick Repellent Spray
- BEST FOR FABRICS: Sawyer Products Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent
February 22, 2023
he recommends Sawyer Products insect repellent because the bottles are small (4 ounces each) and the product is made with 100% DEET for maximum protection when you need it.
Permethrin spray bonds to fabric fibers for up to 6 weeks or through 6 washings
The Sawyer Squeeze has been a mainstay on our Best Backpacking Water Filters List for years. It’s incredibly lightweight at only 3 oz., very compact, and is quite affordable.