Updated Gear List for the New England Trail
My New England Trail Gear List had a few adjustments. I tried out a couple of new freestanding tents and two new backpacks. Since my pack would be a little heavier, I decided not to cook on this shorter backpacking trip. This means there is no stove or cooking kit, but you can see my post on my cooking equipment at “Backpacking Cooking Kit Review.”
My final weight without food and water, depending on the gear I used, was approximately 13 – 15 pounds. My weight is not the lightest or heaviest, but about average.
What Exactly is “Light” Anyway?
Light, ultra-light, traditional – these backpacking categories are a topic of much debate. With the gear changes over the last few years, I imagine the classes will continue to be debated and adjusted. I have listed some standard definitions below.
- Base Weight – Your pack weight minus consumables and the clothes you wear. I also don't include my hiking poles.
- Consumables – These are usually food, water, fuel, or whatever you consume as you travel.
- Traditional Weight – this is greater than a 30-pound base weight, or 25 according to who you ask.
- Light Weight – 10 – 20 pounds
- Ultralight – Less than 10 pounds, although some hikers say 12 pounds.
- Super Ultralight – this is less than 5 pounds. This category is less than my day pack. I think this is the weight of my purse.
I fall in the Light Weight group, but if conditions are right, I'll drop into the top of the Ultralight range. For me, Ultralight means summer temperatures, plenty of water, and going to town every 3-4 days.
Safety is always a priority, so hike a safe hike and carry what works for you. Continue reading the New England Trail Gear list written by Averagehiker here.
May 5, 2022
Outdoor Life: Do You Really Need a Water Filter for Backpacking and Mountain Hunting?
Depending on where you travel, you may want to pack bug spray, too. In places like Florida and North Carolina, summers get buggy, and you’ll be happy to have packed a spray on nights when you want to sit on the porch or dine outdoors.
As a veteran of the Iraq War, I found myself struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder from which greatly impacted my mental health. In 2016, I came across the film “Wild,” an adaptation of Cheryl Strayed’s memoir about healing by hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).
Sawyer Permethrin Premium Insect Repellent is used on clothing, not skin, and it provides long-lasting protection against ticks.