Colorado Trail Gear List – Big 3 Changes! Average Hiker
Updated Gear List for the Colorado Trail
My gear list is updated for a Colorado Trail Thru-hike in August. The Big Three include Zpack and Katabatic changes- all quality cottage gear manufacturers.
Reviews for all of my current gear continue to be written, and where you see a link, you will find a review for that item. I’ve also included a DOWNLOAD button at the end of this article so you can download the gear spreadsheet if interested in individual weight specifics.
My final weight without food and water is approximately 13.3 pounds. As usual I’m not the lightest or the heaviest, but about average.
As always, all comments and questions are welcome in the comment section at the end of the post.
What Exactly is “Light” Anyway?
Light, ultra-light, traditional – these backpacking categories are a topic of much debate, and with the changes in gear over the last few years I imagine the categories will continue to be debated and adjusted. A few definitions include the following…
- Base Weight – Your pack weight minus consumables and the clothes you wear. I also don’t include my hiking poles.
- Consumables – These are usually food, water, fuel, or whatever you consume as you travel.
- Traditional Weight – Greater than 30 pound base weight, or 25 according to who you ask.
- Light Weight – 10 – 20 pounds
- Ultralight – Less than 10 pounds, although some say 12 pounds
- Super Ultralight – Less than 5 pounds. This is heavier than my day pack. I think this is the weight of my purse.
I fall in the Light Weight group, but if conditions are right I’ll drop into the top of the Ultralight range. This means summer temperatures and plenty of water.
Continue reading Average Hiker's top pics for the Colorado Trail here.
May 5, 2022
Steer clear of mosquitoes, ticks, and other pests with these EPA-approved bug sprays, lotions, and wipes.
This insect repellent lotion uses picaridin, which repels all sorts of biting flies, chiggers, ticks, flies, and gnats. It’s not greasy, feels good on your skin, and comes in packets that are easy to take along when you’re camping or hiking. It gets over 16,000 five-star reviews.
High-Performance 0.1 Micron Absolute Inline Filter Fits In The Palm Of Your Hand And Weighs Just 2 Ounces; 100% Of Micro Squeeze Units Individually Tested Three Times To Performance Standards By Sawyer